Meaningful Distinction:
 

 
Patrick S. Lasswell Look outward for something to accomplish, not inward for something to despise.
pslblog at gmail dot com
 
 
   
 
Thursday, January 29, 2004
 
Service is a Privilege Not a Right

My brother is gay and I am proud of him. I absolutely support his right to get married, and in fact I think his husband is a wonderful man. (I am not exceptionally happy that they have the same first name; but since my first name is Pat, perhaps I shouldn't throw stones. My wife's name is Abigail.) I absolutely believe in the rights of homosexuals to live safely, without harassment or abuse in this country. The gay community has done tremendous work helping confused and angry people come to an acceptance of their identity.

The point at which I break with he gay community is their method of seeking acceptance in the military over the question of rights. Military service is not a right. It is a privilege to serve. In the military you gain privileges by accepting responsibilities. The actions of predatory homosexuals are destructive to the privileges of responsible homosexuals. This problem is exacerbated because the gay community insists that it is not a problem.

I do not equate the acceptance of racial or gender identities in the military with homosexual acceptance, because the argument is different. The argument against acceptance of racial and gender identities was always performance, the false notion that these groups were incapable of accomplishing the mission. The impediment in acceptance of gays in the military is not one of performance, it is one of trust. Generations of predatory homosexuals have caused problems that burned their way into the institutional memory of the military. The failure to address this fundamental obstacle by the gay community is a slap in the face to everyone who has experienced harassment or abuse by predatory homosexuals in the military. It is a slap in my face because I have been harassed and abused by predatory homosexuals in the military.

Additionally, when I have this argument with gay advocates, they consistently bring up the question of equality. If they put half as much sincerity in their expressions of desire to serve their country as they do into their demand to be treated equally, I'd seriously consider them an asset to the defense of my nation. As it stands, I just see another minority leveraging for power without regard for the cost to our nation's security - in the middle of a war.

Is this any way to build trust? Is this any way to protect your country? Are you only concerned with your own interests?

If the gay community is seriously interested in serving their country in the military, they should start by showing the responsibility to clean their own house. That is a commitment to honorable service worthy of respect and privilege. That is how you can gain my trust.
Comments: Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.  

Home  |  Archives